The African American Composer Initiative is proud to present our 11th Annual concert set,”Hold Fast to Dreams.” These words by poet Langston Hughes set the tone for the music on this year’s program: music uplifting and sustaining to the spirit. The AACI roster of musicians, along with beloved guest jazz artists Valerie Capers and John Robinson return to the performing arts center of Eastside College Prep in East Palo Alto to present spirituals, songs, and instrumentals by Charles Lloyd, Jr, Florence Price, Jeremiah Evans, Adolphus Hailstork, William Grant Still, John Robinson, Valerie Capers and jazz greats Duke Ellington and Kenny Dorham.
You can purchase tickets at Brown Paper Tickets. Click HERE.
This program is supported by donations made to AACI through our umbrella organization, InterMusicSF.
AACI is a fiscally sponsored affiliate of San Francisco Friends of Chamber Music, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the service of chamber music in California.
Click on a date below to view the program from that concert. You may then click on a composition name to view video of that performance.
- October 2019: Tawawa House Opera Concert Performance
- January 2019: Where Freedom Rings: A 10th Anniversary Concert Celebrating the Music of African American Composers
- January 2018: Out of the Blues: The Gift of Song
- January 2017: Let the Knowing Speak
- January 2016: A Musical Celebration of Valerie Capers
- January 2015: Walk Together: A Musical Tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr, and the 50th Anniversary of the Voting Rights Act of 1965
- January 2014: Let Freedom Ring: The Resounding Music of African American Composers
- January 2013: Music of African American Composers: The Story Retold
- January 2012: A Musical Sojourn: Two Hundred Years of Music by African American Women and Men
- January 2011: Music by African American Composers: Yesterday and Today
- January 2010: A Concert in Tribute to African American Composers
- January 2009: Palo Alto Performances (program only, no video)